How Can a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Help?
Any injury suffered in a motor vehicle accident can have serious consequences.
Catastrophic injuries, though, always have devastating results.
They can be so severe that they can change your life forever.
Catastrophic injuries can lead to scarring, disabilities, disfigurement, and emotional suffering.
Their effects go well beyond physical pain.
In a previous blog post, we explain What is Considered a Catastrophic Injury.
It’s not easy coping with catastrophic injuries and recovering full and fair compensation from the at-fault party is an essential part of getting your life back on track.
If you were catastrophically injured due to another person’s negligence or bad behavior, you have the legal right to hold that person responsible for your damages.
An experienced catastrophic injury lawyer will help you build your case and ensure you collect the maximum possible financial compensation.
The money you receive in a settlement can’t turn back the clock and prevent your injuries, but it can help you get the care you need and return to a certain level of normalcy.
In the article below, we will discuss catastrophic injuries and how a catastrophic injury lawyer can help.
What Is A Catastrophic Injury?
A catastrophic injury is a legal term that refers to an injury that is so severe it will permanently affect the injured individual.
Catastrophic injuries can cause permanent scarring and disfigurement or a lifelong disability that can keep you from enjoying everyday life.
They will likely take you out of work, sometimes permanently, leading to a lifetime of lost wages and potential earning opportunities.
Catastrophic injuries are also likely to have an impact on your entire family compared to less severe accident injuries.
Your immediate family may have to act as caregivers if you develop a permanent disability after a catastrophic injury.
Your family may also incur medical costs and other expenses related to your ongoing care, such as medical bills, physical therapy, rehabilitation, travel expenses to and from medical appointments, medications, medical devices, or even live-in nursing care.
You also won’t be able to contribute to household income or household chores like you could before because of the disability you now have because of your accident.
And catastrophic injuries can also have a devastating effect on your emotional well-being.
You will likely suffer depression, anxiety, mental anguish, lost quality of life, humiliation, inconvenience, post-traumatic stress disorder, and more due to your permanent injuries.
Your immediate family may also experience noneconomic damages, like the loss of your affection, care, parental guidance, or spousal consortium.
These emotional damages often translate into higher damage awards for catastrophic lawsuits.
What Are the Most Common Types of Catastrophic Injuries?
Catastrophic injuries are truly life-altering and always cause permanent disabilities and/or psychological trauma. Many victims will require specialized care for the rest of their lives.
The most common types of injuries that are labeled catastrophic include:
- Spinal cord injuries. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (NSCISC), about 17,000 Americans suffer spinal cord injuries every year. Spinal cord injuries could be the result of car accidents, construction accidents, and more. If you have a spinal cord injury, you may have limited movement or suffer total paralysis.
- Traumatic brain injury. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 2.5 million Americans are treated in emergency rooms for traumatic brain injuries each year. Severe brain injuries can cause long-term problems with cognition, memory, movement, speech, and behavior. Newborns who suffer brain trauma in a medical malpractice accident during delivery can suffer from cerebral palsy, a condition that may cause significant impairment and require lifelong medical care.
- Burn injuries. Burn injuries cause an estimated 40,000 hospitalizations each year, according to the American Burn Association. Third-degree burns may cause permanent disfigurement and psychological trauma. It’s not uncommon for burn injuries to be caused by defective products or truck accidents. Burn injuries may also require survivors to undergo extensive therapy and costly medical treatments.
- Amputations. More than 500 Americans lose limbs each day. Amputation injuries may require accident survivors to make home modifications and use other medical equipment, resulting in astronomical medical expenses.
Why Catastrophic Injury Claims Require More Resources
Recovering compensation is important in all personal injury lawsuits, but the stakes are much higher when catastrophic injuries are involved.
Financial recovery is more than just a reward in a catastrophic case. Maximum compensation is essential to fund a lifetime of expected medical expenses.
Insurance companies facing potentially high-value injury claims need to pay victims as little as possible.
Insurance companies are in the business of making money, and they need to pay out as little as possible on all of their claims.
Because so much depends on a successful claim, and the insurance companies will try to pay as little as possible, you need to work with personal injury lawyers with experience in catastrophic injuries and the resources to handle these cases.
How Can a Lawyer Help with Your Catastrophic Injury?
Many people are left confused and unsure of what to do after an accident, especially catastrophic accidents.
That’s why it’s important to have the guidance of an experienced catastrophic injury attorney well versed in personal injury law.
They will have the means and experience to help you seek compensation for your losses while you focus on your physical recovery.
A catastrophic injury lawyer will investigate your case to determine who was liable.
During the investigation, your attorney will:
- Analyze pictures and video from the accident scene
- Obtain statements from eyewitnesses
- Review your medical records
- Consulting with experts who can reconstruct the accident and demonstrate who was at fault.
Once your personal injury attorney has completed their investigation, they will work with you to pursue a lawsuit that will fully and fairly compensate you for your medical bills and other damages.
And if necessary, they will take your case to trial.
Contact A Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Near You
If you’ve been in a catastrophic accident, it will take time to build a case and get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries and the pain and suffering you’re dealing with.
Any accident victim suffering from a catastrophic injury needs to get in touch with a catastrophic injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Contact The Mabra Firm today for the best experience from a catastrophic injury lawyer in the Atlanta area who knows what they are doing.
We specialize in catastrophic cases like yours, and we will fight for you every step of the way.
Fill out the form below to schedule your Free Consultation.
from The Mabra Firm https://mabrafirm.com/how-can-a-catastrophic-injury-lawyer-help/
via The Mabra Law Firm